[Rating: 0]

Image : 7News

A man with a large knife allegedly stabbed a woman at a Sydney pub and attempted to attack more people, with heroic passers-by securing him with chairs and a milk crate until police arrived.
The alleged rampage unfolded at Sydney’s CBD Hotel on the corner of Clarence Street and York Streets at 2pm when many city workers were on their lunch break.
The man was pinned down by members of the public.

Another woman, aged 21, has also been found dead in a nearby city centre apartment block with stab wounds. Police believe her death is linked.
READ MORE: Brave Sydneysiders trap blood-splattered attacker in CBD
The area remains in lockdown.

Police lead away the suspected knifeman after a stabbing attack in Sydney’s CBD. (Supplied)
The woman hurt at the hotel had a single stab wound to her upper back and was taken to St Vincent’s Hospital. She is a 41-year-old who was randomly attacked.
Police say her condition is stable.

Map of Sydney CBD showing locations believed to be connected to the stabbing. Inset map showing location of crime scene estalished at attacker’s home. (Nine)
They used a milk crate to pin down his head.
The suspect is reported to be Mert Nay, a 21-year-old from Marayong, near Blacktown.
Police say the suspect acted alone and has terrorist ideologies, but no links to terrorism.
There is a crime scene investigation at his home.
Police are examining if he recently escaped from a mental health facility.

Police Superintendent Gavin Wood said the suspect attempted to attack multiple people in the street outside the CBD Hotel, however those other attempts failed.
“We don’t know the causation or the rationale. It would appear at this stage it was unprovoked,” he said.
He was later wheeled on a stretcher from Day St Police Station to an ambulance which took him to the RPA Hospital, under police guard.

Witnesses recount what happened in Sydney stabbing attack
Sup Int Gavin Wood said those who held down the suspect were “heroes”.
“They were brave.. significantly brave people.”
Paul O’Shaughnesy chased the suspect told 9News the man was wearing a balaclava and had a knife covered in blood.

“Immediately we all went down the escalator and we continued to chase the guy and other people were going away because obviously he is wielding a knife,” he said.
“I don’t know whether it is an instinct thing or what. We just got to try to restrain this guy from doing any more.
“My brother and I ran across here and we managed to get a grip along with other guy and we have a grip of him and restrained him fully.

“You just waited for the cops to come. He has blood all over him.”
Zac Barry told 9News how he helped barricade people inside a building.
“I was out the front and a few people ran up and I took them inside our office because the doors were locked. We stayed off the street I didn’t want to risk it,” he said.
“(I’m) a little shaken up. But, you know, it’s not something that you expect to see in Sydney.”

A witness told 2GB he hit a young man who ran in front of his car on York Street.
He said the man, who appeared to be 23 or 24 years old, had blood on his shirt and appeared to be agitated.
The witness said the man ran off after being hit and rolling onto the front of his car.
Video shows the suspect running and jumping onto the roof of a black Mercedes, which started moving, before he jumped off.
The driver of the Mercedes has been revealed as an Uber driver, who had an elderly couple in the car.
He said he feared the man had a bomb strapped to his chest, which is why he accelerated, causing the man to fall.
As the suspect stood up, a man carrying a wooden chair approached him and swung the chair toward him.
The man with the knife can be seen backing away from the man with the chair, gesticulating with both arms.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison, has called the attack “deeply concerning” and praised the actions of the public who restrained the suspect.

“The attacker is now in police custody following the brave actions of those who were present at the scene and were able to able to restrain him.
“The motivation for this attack has not yet been determined as Police are continuing with their enquiries.
“Any further official information will be provided by the New South Wales Police, who are keeping us appraised through our agencies, including details of casualties.
Play Video
NSW Police make statement on Sydney CBD stabbing
“Our thoughts are with all those who have been impacted by this violent attack.”
Motorists are advised to avoid King Street in the Sydney CBD due to the continuing police operation.
All lanes of King Street are closed from Clarence Street to York Street.
Traffic in the area is heavy, and motorists are advised to use an alternative route.
Buses are also diverting away from King Street and are using Clarence Street, Market Street, Kent Street and Erskine Street then returning to Clarence Street.

Emergency services are on site, and traffic crews are responding.
What we know about Sydney CBD stabbing
The suspect is reported to be Mert Nay, a 21-year-old from Marayong, near Blacktown
Police say the suspect acted alone and has terrorist ideologies, but no links to terrorism
A woman, 21, has been found dead at a unit in Clarence Street with stab wounds.
One woman, 41, has been stabbed at the CBD hotel in Sydney
The female patient has been taken to St Vincent’s Hospital with a stab wound to her upper back
Police responded to reports of a man walking along York Street armed with a knife
Members of the public detained the alleged attacker, using a milk crate and two chairs to hold him down
Police said the alleged attacker stabbed the woman after attempting to injure multiple people
Specialist police are conducting pro-active patrols around the CBD and there is no threat to public safety
Road closures and public transport delays
Clarence Street is closed between Market Street and King Street. King Street remains closed between Clarence Street and York Street

About 2pm – police and emergency services responded to reports of a man walking along York Street in Sydney’s CBD armed with a large knife.
2.36pm – police confirmed one person had been stabbed at the CBD Hotel. The female patient was taken to St Vincent’s Hospital with a stab wound to her upper back.

Just before 3pm – The Hotel CBD was put in lockdown. A man in a suit and tie tackled the alleged attacker to the ground with a chair, while another grabbed a milk crate and put it over his head. A fire fighter was also seen leaving his truck with a fire fighters’ axe to help pin the suspect down.

About 3.15pm – Officers from Sydney City police area command found the body of a woman inside a unit on Clarence street Sydney. Polive are investigating he her death is linked to the CBD stabbing attack.

3.40pm – More than an hour after the attack bystanders were let out of Hotel CBD.
About 3.45pm – The alleged attacker was wheeled on a stretcher, under police guard, from Day St Police Station to the RPA Hospital.
Just before 4pm – A woman has also been seen walking into The Rocks Police Station with a towel wrapped around what appeared to be a wound to her hand.

© Nine Digital Pty Ltd 2019