Convicted drug lord Tony Mokbel’s nephew has been jailed for contempt of court, after refusing to answer questions about a fatal Melbourne shooting.
Anthony Mokbel pleaded guilty to the charge after refusing to give evidence about the attack outside a Kensington boxing match last March.
Magistrate Kieran Gillian said it was a “serious example of a serious charge” and on Friday jailed the 24-year-old son of Tony Mokbel’s brother, Horty, for 14 days.
The young Mokbel has previous convictions for gun and traffic crimes and is appealing the latest sentence.
Earlier this month, he was ordered to give evidence about the shooting death of 30-year-old Ben Togiai outside Kensington’s Melbourne Pavilion on March 1, 2019.
Anthony Mokbel is not a suspect in the crime, but investigators wanted to question him about what he knew.
He refused to answer questions after being ordered to attend a compulsory examination on February 5 and was charged with contempt.
His barrister Lee Ristivojevic on Friday said Mokbel was not sorry for refusing to cooperate with investigators and also denied he was at the boxing match at the time of the shooting.
“I can’t find any remorse, can I?” Mr Gillian told the barrister.
“No, and we’re not saying there’s remorse,” Ms Ristivojevic replied.
Two days after being charged with contempt, Anthony Mokbel won his appeal against an eight-month jail term for possessing a loaded .32 calibre-revolver and driving multiple times while suspended.
County Court Judge Michael Tinney handed him an 18-month community corrections order instead.