Normal train services on the Werribee line are unlikely to resume until Thursday, as Metro works to repair the damage caused by yesterday’s overhead wire failure.
Today the company CEO apologised to passengers; some of whom were stuck on the train for close to three hours, after it became entangled in electric wires on the approach to Laverton station just after 4pm on Monday.
Raymond O’Flaherty said investigators would examine the train and the overhead infrastructure to determine what caused the incident, which brought down more than a kilometre of wiring.
It’s a very rare incident to see such a significant amount of overhead taken down, so we’re looking all possible avenues quickly to determine the route cause”, he said.
We don’t think vandalism is an issue at this stage.
But he said some passengers put their lives in danger by choosing to leave the train before the area had been made safe.
“It’s extremely worrying that passengers did that; it wasn’t safe,” he said.
It was an extremely dangerous environment around the train, there was quite a large number of live wires on the ground.”
My message is to all of our passengers, please stay on the train, that’s the safest place to be.
Altered train services began operating from 6:15 this morning, but hundreds of travellers faced lengthy delays.
Waiting for a train at Newport this morning, Sophie Went estimated it would take her two hours to reach work. “I got a bus to Williams Landing and then there was no trains, and there was about a 20 minute wait there, then a transfer here, and the last two trains have been completely packed,” she said.
This afternoon two V/Line locomotives were brought in to shift the crippled train.
Metro says extra buses will be on standby for this evening’s peak, while engineering crews will work through tonight and tomorrow night to repair the overhead wires and structures.