Votes
[Rating: 3]
Melbourne toddler swallows antipsychotic

Abby ingested a prescription drug while Trick or Treating in Bacchus Marsh, in Melbourne. Courtesy: Supplied

A toddler has been taken to hospital after she ingested antipsychotic medication while trick-or-treating in Melbourne’s north-west last night.

Three-year-old Abby had been collecting lollies for Halloween along Hallets Way in Bacchus Marsh when she began to cough around 8pm and told her mother, Tara, she was feeling sick.

Tara said her daughter said to her she tasted something “yucky” and was “zonked and wobbly on her feet.”

Tara then discovered five to six tablets of the antipsychotic medication Seroquel.

9News has been told Abby found the medicine in a zip-lock bag in her Halloween bucket.

Two neighbours rushed to help and called paramedics just after 8pm, who they said were “urgent about getting her to hospital”.

Eva Savav-Tancev, who was there last night, praised Tara for her composure.

“She was concerned about getting the child some medical help and getting her husband to come down and looking after her other three children at the same time. She was like the Superman,” Ms Savav-Tancav said.

The toddler is in a stable condition in Sunshine Hospital, but Tara said she is still very groggy.

Residents in the area are urging parents to check their kids’ lollies.

Victoria Police are investigating but said it is not believed there is any malicious intent involved.

“Police are treating this as an isolated incident and have not received any other reports of any similar incidents in the area,” they said.

Source: https://www.9news.com.au/national/halloween-bacchus-marsh-child-swallows-prescription-medication-melbourne-news/36bb6076-d47a-46cc-bb92-66236269e09c