An accused murderer made full admissions to killing his wife in their Sydney home but will argue he acted in self-defence, a court has been told.
Altaf Hossain, 49, is accused of murdering his wife Syeda Nirupama in their Minto home between 3.09am and 4am on Sunday.
The accused killer showed his heavily bandaged hands to Parramatta Bail Court on Monday as his barrister argued the 49-year-old would defend the murder charge against him and deserved both bail and the presumption of innocence.
Police opposed bail, arguing the Bengali-speaking Australian citizen posed a “huge flight risk” if released and had already made admissions.
Mr Hossain’s lawyer argued in court today that he should be granted bail to be able to care for his two children. The judge refused.
His lawyer also confirmed Mr Hossain will be fighting the charges against him on the basis of self-defence.
Meanwhile, the body located in the home has not yet been formally identified, however, Syeda’s cousin Afrina Chowdhury told 9News she and other relatives in Australia had called to tell Syeda’s parents, who live in Bangladesh, that she had died.
In presence of police and people (at his) house at his invitation, (he said) I killed her,” Senior Sergeant Leesa McEvoy told the court.
“That presumption is … out the window.”
The court was not told how police allege Ms Nirupama died.
Hossain’s barrister Zemarai Khatiz said his client had no prior convictions, no recorded matters of violence and had strong community ties though his Australian citizenship and family.
He stressed self-defence would be an issue at trial for the “powerful, subjective” case.
“One of first things he said to police was ‘She did this one’, gesturing with his hands,” Mr Khatiz told the court.
The accused had stated to police he was suffering from mental health issues, the court heard.
Registrar Kevin Lamond said if the murder charge was defended on self-defence, there was a strong likelihood Hossain would be convicted of manslaughter and would face a custodial sentence.
Two children, aged six and 10, were found asleep and unharmed in the home.
Police said the family has no history of domestic violence, and authorities are trying to find alternative arrangements for the children.
The couple both moved to Australia from Bangladesh and started their family in Minto.
Detectives from Campbelltown City Police Area Command are being assisted by detectives from State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad.