Grandmother of dead toddler Jaidyn

Jaidyn Gomes was unable to be revived by emergency crews. Courtesy: Facebook

The toddler found dead in a Melbourne home after neighbours reported hearing a heated argument was “full of cuddles” and loved to play with trucks, his grandmother said.

Homicide detectives are investigating the death of the 18-month-old Jaidyn Gomes after emergency crews were called to the Langwarrin home about 4.10pm yesterday following reports that a child had been injured.

The boy was unable to be revived and died on scene.

A 32-year-old man and a 34-year-old woman were arrested at the scene. Another man was arrested at the scene but released soon afterwards.

The boy’s grandmother told reporters outside the Potts Road home this morning that her daughter had moved back to Victoria from Queensland after losing her partner and Jaidyn’s father, Christopher, to a motorcycle accident.

The grandmother – who asked not to be named and described the relationship with her daughter as strained – said she last time she saw Jaidyn was “about three weeks ago”.

She said her young grandson was “full of cuddles” and loved playing with trucks.

His mother, she said, was doing casual cleaning work “for a little bit of extra money.”
Today, the bare front yard of the white rendered unit was occupied only by a pink and black tricycle.

Neighbours said they heard screaming for about half an hour before emergency services arrived.

My wife and I were sitting in the lounge,” a resident told Today.

“We just heard a blood-curdling scream around 3.30.

“We thought that at the time something was going on but we were deep in conversation.

“Didn’t hear much more after that because it’s about 70 metres up the road.”

Another resident said arguments were regularly heard at the home.

“You could hear it escalating from an argument to hysterics,” the neighbour told The Age.

“It had been going on for half for an hour, just back and forth, which is not that unusual because there had been a few.

“But it went … from screaming and then just shrieking in terror.”

No charges have yet been laid.