[Rating: 0]
fatal hit-and-run with a cyclist

CCTV image showing the car police say was involved in a fatal hit-and-run with a cyclist in Lidcombe. Courtesy: SMH

A Sydney driver allegedly hit a cyclist in her vehicle and then reversed over him, before fleeing the scene of the fatal crash, police say.

Vonny Ho, 47, allegedly struck the 66-year-old male rider, from Neutral Bay, while driving in the back streets of Lidcombe shortly before 5pm on Tuesday.

She is accused of then reversing over the man, before driving away.

Ms Ho attended Auburn Police Station on Friday afternoon where she was arrested and charged with failing to stop and assist after vehicle impact causing death, and both dangerous and negligent driving causing death.

In Parramatta Bail Court on Saturday, police prosecutor Sergeant Scott Thomson opposed bail, noting Ms Ho was facing “quite a serious allegation”.

“Police allege she has purposefully reversed back towards, over the cyclist, before failing to stop at the accident,” he said.

But the application for bail from Ho’s lawyer, Frank Ngo, was granted, with a $10,000 surety posted through her husband and on the condition she will report to police twice a week.

“We say that there is no failure to assist,” Mr Ngo said.

He told the court his client, an Australian citizen who has lived here since 2003, did not become aware of her involvement in the crash until she saw a related television news report.

The crash occurred at the intersection of Harry Avenue and Maud Street in Lidcombe, and police later appealed for information about the alleged driver and car, a Toyota Corolla. On Wednesday, Inspector Katie Orr told media the driver’s actions were “very callous,” and urged the motorist to come forward. Police released pictures of the car said to be involved in the fatality.

Police had earlier said that the cyclist had been knocked to the ground after being struck from behind by the car. The bicycle was dragged 50 metres down the road.

After the crash, bystanders attempted to aid the cyclist, though he was pronounced dead after paramedics arrived.